RE: [Mldonkey-users] Re: [2.02-9] Expiring sources to fast?

From: Joao Correia
Subject: RE: [Mldonkey-users] Re: [2.02-9] Expiring sources to fast?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:56:43 -0000

Hello all

        I seem to have had the same problem as you, Sven.

        My download rates were amazing with 2.02-9 until some days ago.
Then, suddenly (I did not change bandwidth options like you, but...)
sources were disappearing very quickly and speed dropped from the
hundreds per sec to the 4 or 5 per sec. Even after deleting
 file_sources.ini and restarting, wich usually worked on other versions.
Now, I tried something different. I deleted file_sources.ini and I
booted
2.02-7. Ta-da!! 140kbs 10mins after! Speeds still maintained, sources
are
abundant, everything is good again. I assume 2.02-8 will work like
2.02-7. I *believe* it has something to do with what is written in the
changelog for 2.02-9:

2003/01/28: Simon
  - Donkey:
       * Sources Management a la 2-02-5 updated (next time, choose your
           source management depending on an option ?)

Hopefully an option to choose source management will be available in
2.02-10. For when the next cvs commit?

Hope I helped.

Thank you for your time,
Joao Correia

Ok, but this is not the problem I have.

Let's say, I have files of a rather rare category 'A' and files which
are more common, of a category 'O'.

Until Friday, 31st of January, I had a filled ISDN line with just
those downloads from 'A' activated. The download started a few seconds
after I fired up my mldonkey, everything was fine.

Now, With nearly the same amount of files in category 'A' (two were
finished), I hardly get 2kBytes/s, sometimes there are spikes when I am
able to connect to a source for a time, but most times, my mldonkey
justs sits there and waits forever, just uploading chunks.

Interesting thing is: This all happened after I reduced the bandwidth
for the mldonkey va max_download_rate from 0 to 3, because I needed some
bandwidth for other things. After I was done I increased the bandwidth
to 0 again.

Right after this, 90% of the sources were gone, and the "drama" began.

I have bee using 2.02-9 since it was committed to the CVS, so 2.02-9
_was_ fast and fine, but it does not recover from that loss of sources
that night.

So I don't think, something happend to the net at the very moment I
reduced the bandwidth for 5 minutes, something must hav 'snapped' within
my mldonkey.

But deleting file_sources.ini to force it to gather the sources from
scratch did not solve the situation.

Since that nighe, most files are without sources and the oney with
sources only have about 5 to 20.

If I use emule or edonkey-native, I can quickly see about 100 to 300
sources.

Of course I did not change anything else of my settings.

I really don't understand, what is going on here.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #270:

Someone has messed up the kernel pointers