Re: Grub rescue

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:33:04 -0600

On Mar 26, 2013, at 3:11 PM, David <address@hidden> wrote:

> The MBR on /dev/sda holds core.img.

When you wrote: "It is loading the main part of grub from /dev/sdb1 on MBR disc
/dev/sdb" to me that sounded like core.img on sdb1 using blocklists. The main
part of grub is core.img.

> So you seem to be telling me that I can't do what I obviously can.

It's a terminology problem. If you'd read what I wrote, you'd by now have
already realized I thought core.img was on sdb.

> So I am somewhat bemused by you saying that it can't be done/ isn't
> supported.

Cute. You think my rebuttal was over complicated, meanwhile on paragraph 10
you're still repeating yourself.

> If you have several MBR discs in a PC you should be able to install Linux
> (Ubuntu) onto any of those discs and still boot up from grub on your
> chosen boot drive.

GRUB still depends on the BIOS.

> So with boring old MBR discs everything works.
>
> My problem is that grub doesn't seem to be able to see GPT discs.

So when this GPT disk is MBR, grub rescue's ls command now returns two disks?
Or is it still just one disk reported?

> See my long post for the Boot Info.
>
> I don't know if the fact I am on Grub2 (v1.99) has any bearing on all this.

With hundreds of MBR and GPT installations, I've never known that to be the
case with GRUB2.

Your version of GRUB is old, and probably still produces a device.map.
cat /boot/grub/device.map

Chris Murphy