Re: Grub rescue

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:21:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:33:04 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

<snip>
>> So with boring old MBR discs everything works.
>>
>> My problem is that grub doesn't seem to be able to see GPT discs.
>
> So when this GPT disk is MBR, grub rescue's ls command now returns two
> disks? Or is it still just one disk reported?

<snip>

As posted elsewhere, with all 3 discs connected and grub-install run
against a GPT partition, on reboot I can see the two MBR discs and not the
GPT disc.

Because core.img has been built with part_gpt I can't see the partitions
on either MBR disc.

However this does point to the main issue - that it isn't part_gpt causing
the problem but something that is preventing core.img seeing the GPT disc.

I will follow up on BIOS/UEFI issues this morning.

I note that the version (1.99) of grub2 is quite old - this is the version
that ships with the latest version (12.04) of Ubuntu.

Regards

David