Re: Grub rescue

From: David
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:24:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:07:59 -0700, Jordan Uggla wrote:

<snip>

> I am very confused about what you're trying to accomplish, and even more
> confused about what you've done up to this point. There is no reason
> that you should need to get stuck at a grub rescue shell when
> transitioning from an msdos label to a GPT label if you run grub-install
> properly (meaning, passing the device whose boot sector your BIOS is
> going to load, and if needed a proper --boot-directory argument, no
> --modules argument should ever be necessary) after making any
> partitioning changes. Please re-run grub-install (without --modules) and
> note down the exact command you ran, as well as the output of "mount"
> when you ran grub-install, and post both. If after that grub-install
> command you're still not able to boot, please run boot info script
> http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ from a LiveCD/USB or other
> working GNU/Linux installation and post the RESULTS.txt that it
> produces.

Running from Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Live CD.

Here is the output of the 'mount'

Please note that I've got lazy here and I have both the MBR and the GPT
disc connected at the same time, so the GPT disc is /dev/sdc.

I note that I as usual dyslexically incorrect as I was posting ext2 when I
meant ext4.

/cow on / type overlayfs (rw)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)

/dev/sr0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noatime)

/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)

none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)

none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)

none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)

/dev/sdb3 on /mnt/dwer type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdc2 on /mnt/sdc2 type ext4 (rw)

/dev/sdc2 is the target for grub-install.

"grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/sdc2/boot /dev/sda"

Also please note that /mnt/dwer is the NTFS partition used for shared
storage between all OS and that is where the log files have been saved.

Cheers

Dave R