Re: Grub rescue

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:29:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:14:48 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> Should grub rescue started from an MBR disc be able to see GPT
> partitions?

The answer is "Yes, of course" or more accurately "It depends".

After updating the UEFI from 1.0 to 2.x (and having a few heart stopping
moments when the system just sighed and died before coming back to life) I
had to set about re-configuring everything because it had all been reset.

During this process I noted that I couldn't see the 3TiB (tibbles?) drive
in the boot menu.

Further checking showed (apart from the disc handling being set back to
IDE from AHCI) that the 3TiB drive was on the Marvell SATA 6GB/sec
controller not the Intel MoBo controller and this Marvell controller (as
strongly advised in the UEFI setup utility) was set to not bootable.

I set it to bootable and noted an extra flash screen when the PC booted -
and then the 3TiB drive was visible as a boot drive.

Once this was done, grub could also see the GPT drive and could find /boot/
grub.

So, in the end, a fine analysis from Andrey, Jordan and Chris in that it
was a BIOS/UEFI problem and really nothing to do with grub.

I didn't realise that although I was booting successfully off an MBR disc,
the GPT disc had also to be set as bootable in the UEFI for it to be
visible in the environment grub was searching.

So a five minute job at the start of a long series of disc swaps and OS
installs and upgrades seems to be finally nearing completion.

Thanks for all the help.

At least now I understand a bit more about grub.

Next comes Windows 8 :-(

Cheers

Dave R