Re: Grub rescue

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:50:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:38:51 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:46:41 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:47:24 +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>>
>>> В Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:58:55 +0000 (UTC)

>> <snip>
>>
>>> If you still can boot in original configuration, reinstall grub while
>>> explicitly adding part_gpt:
>>>
>>> grub-install --modules=part_gpt ...
>>>
>>> If you cannot return to original configuration - just follow boot
>>> recovery procedure for your distro.
>>
>> Done that.
>>
>> When I disconnect the original MBR data drive and connect the new GPT
>> data drive and boot grub of the MBR disc and go into grub rescue
>>
>> I still find that 'ls' can only see one drive, the one with the MSDOS
>> partitions on.
>>
>> If I 'insmod part_gpt' it does not complain, but still can't see the
>> GPT drive.
>>
>> Not enough in core.img to chain load Windows either.
>
> Test #2
>
> Boot from Ubuntu 12.04 Live CD into 'Try'
>
> startup Terminal
>
> sudo bash
>
> mount /dev/sdb2/ /mnt/
>
> [ls to confirm correct filestore mounted]
>
> grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
>
> reboot, and get
>
> error: no such device: 28ba1903-0731-40e2*8ce2-55e5597293c2
>
>  >set
>
> prefix=(hd0,2)/boot/grub
>
> root=hd0,2
>
>>ls
>
> (hd0)
>

> So as far as I can see grub-install has installed grub on /dev/sda and
> set up core.img to cope with a GPT disc and correctly identified the
> disc and that /boot/grub and /root are on partition 2 of the disc.
>
> When the initial bit of grub starts to load, it is unable to see the GPT
> disc (no such device:) and reverts to the only disc it can see, the MBR
> disc.
>
> However it hasn't got the module 'part_msdos' included so it can't even
> see the partitions on the MBR disc.
>
> [I checked this - at the grub rescue> prompt insmode part_gpt worked,
> insmod part_msdos failed.]
>
> So I think this is a bug not a feature.
>
> It looks as though currently the only way that I can get my GPT disc up
> and running using grub2 from an MBR disc is to have /boot/grub in a
> separate mini-partition on the MBR disc. Assuming even that works.
>
> I will try a full install of Ubuntu 12.04 onto the GPT disc, nominating
> the MBR disc as the location for grub, and see what happens.
> However I fully expect the same failure.
>
> Bug: grub 2 on initial boot does not correctly support GPT discs with
> the module 'part_gpt'.
> It fails to recognise the disc or the partitions.
>
> Note that the discs are configured in AHCI mode.

Test #3

Installed Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit to the partition on the GPT drive where it
was previously installed.

Nominated MBR drive as boot drive.

Same failure as Test #2.

Now, of course, I can't boot anything because when I revert back to a full
MBR configuration core.img is set up for GPT partitions so can't see the
MBR partitions, although it can see both MBR discs.

About to rerun Test #2 on the MBR configuration to reset core.img (I hope).

Cheers

Dave R