Re: Grub rescue

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:07:59 -0700

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM, David WE Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Test #3
>
> Installed Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit to the partition on the GPT drive where it
> was previously installed.
>
> Nominated MBR drive as boot drive.
>
> Same failure as Test #2.
>
> Now, of course, I can't boot anything because when I revert back to a full
> MBR configuration core.img is set up for GPT partitions so can't see the
> MBR partitions, although it can see both MBR discs.
>
> About to rerun Test #2 on the MBR configuration to reset core.img (I hope).

I am very confused about what you're trying to accomplish, and even
more confused about what you've done up to this point. There is no
reason that you should need to get stuck at a grub rescue shell when
transitioning from an msdos label to a GPT label if you run
grub-install properly (meaning, passing the device whose boot sector
your BIOS is going to load, and if needed a proper --boot-directory
argument, no --modules argument should ever be necessary) after making
any partitioning changes. Please re-run grub-install (without
--modules) and note down the exact command you ran, as well as the
output of "mount" when you ran grub-install, and post both. If after
that grub-install command you're still not able to boot, please run
boot info script http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ from a
LiveCD/USB or other working GNU/Linux installation and post the
RESULTS.txt that it produces.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)