grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:20:47 +0100

Hello,

On Jun/21/2009, Pavel Roskin wrote:

[picking up your message just to get one]

> Do we really need to localize the bootloader?  I think localization of
> the tools should be sufficient.

So, what we can do?:
a1) add i18n support to the userland scripts

b1) apply (and finish the building support) the patch to add gettext
support in Grub2 (patch is done, it needs to add the the building
support and add the gettext call to all srings -can be done gradually)

OR:

a2) add i18n support to the userland scripts

b2) change a bit Grub2 so the most public strings (initial instructions)
are variables in the grub2.cfg file, and Grub2 will get it from the file

I'm very interested to finish b1 or add support for b2. a1/a2 is the
same, I have done some tests and we needed to decide where the .mo files
will be. I will need some help for building stuff :(

IMHO: b1 looks more professional/nicer and complete than b2, that looks
like a quick-patch, no? But both has similar results.

Next 2 days I will have time to read/answer the mails but not for code.

Any option will take very long, once we have decided :-)

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info