grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:32:35 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Jordi Mallach <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:37:47PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > Now the gettext module will search in $prefix/locale/lang.mo, where lang
> > is the variable that the user will setup in grub.cfg (e.g. ca for
> > catalan) and $prefix is usually /boot/grub
> Uhm I'm not sure I agree on this one.  Sure, they may be inaccessible, but
> only in very rare setups.  On the other hand, we _still_ need a .mo in the
> standard directory, because some strings in grub-mkconfig are critical
> (they generate text that populates menu entry titles).  So that would mean
> installing two .mo files.  Is it really worth the hassle?

I agree with Robert. These should be in /usr/share/locale; if you can't find
it (due to a separate partition, or problems to read it), I think you should
either:

 - lose, and get the C locale messages
 - try to set it up using the correct grub device that contains the locales.
What if partition is in btrfs?

  Probably grub.d/ could make that configurable somehow.
Why can't grub-install just copy them to $prefix/locale like it's done with e.g. modules? Not only it makes it consistent with the rest but also makes grub OS-independent if needed. I strongly oppose to grub2 reading files from usr. Now our directory structure is clean (everything in /boot/grub) and it has to stay such

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/