grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:08:44 +0100

Hi,

On Jun/19/2009, Robert Millan wrote:

> > > Languages files should go to a subdir of $PREFIX. E.g. to
> > > $PREFIX/langs/$LANG.mo linux directories may be inaccessible
> >
> > Now the gettext module will search in $prefix/locale/lang.mo, where lang
> > is the variable that the user will setup in grub.cfg (e.g. ca for
> > catalan) and $prefix is usually /boot/grub
>
> Uhm I'm not sure I agree on this one.  Sure, they may be inaccessible,
> but only in very rare setups.  On the other hand, we _still_ need a
> .mo in the standard directory, because some strings in grub-mkconfig
> are critical (they generate text that populates menu entry titles).
> So that would mean installing two .mo files.  Is it really worth the
> hassle?

Two things:

a) I afraid that having the .mo files in /usr/share/... makes Grub
quite much tight to GNU/Linux. In my opinion, boot loaders should be as
much as operating system agnostic as could be.

b) grub-mkconfig needs a path to search the .mo file. This can be
/usr/share/locale or /boot/grub/locale, it's not a big difference

Regards,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info