grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:45:39 +0200

El mar, 23-06-2009 a las 12:05 +0200, Jordi Mallach escribió:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:42:17PM +0200, Javier Martín wrote:
> > > msgid "Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted."
> > > msgid "Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the"
> > > msgid "commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."
> > Actually, the first string could stand on its own just fine, but the
> > second and the third should be joined.
>
> I don't agree. This is part of a full paragraph, and the ideal string would
> be just one. It's a mere coincidence that the first example msgid I wrote
> ends on a full stop. A translation would possibly span to two lines, and
> then you would have a problem, with the first "single" line taking one
> complete line and possibly just a few columns of the second, but you wouldn't
> be able to add more to the second line, as the msgid ended there.
Why not? A msgid does not necessarily mean a \n, you can printf("%s %s",
_("first"), _("second")) just OK without an intervening line break. In
this particular case the gettext "directives" [0] don't tell us either
to merge or split: the two sentences are related, yes, but are perfectly
translatable on their own as their particular meaning does not depend on
one another. I guess it's a design decision.

> Well, s/Utilize/Utilice/
> s/Enter/Intro/
>
>  ;)
Heh... This is cruel and unusual punishment, I'm in exams (rocket
science, literally) and too stressed to be able to use my own native
language properly. Nevertheless, if you want to be a purist, you might
want to s/Enter/Entrar/ or even s/Enter/Retorno de carro/. ;P

--
-- Lazy, Oblivious, Recurrent Disaster -- Habbit

[0] -
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Preparing-Strings