grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:17:05 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:45:39PM +0200, Javier Martín wrote:
> Why not? A msgid does not necessarily mean a \n, you can printf("%s %s",
> _("first"), _("second")) just OK without an intervening line break. In
> this particular case the gettext "directives" [0] don't tell us either
> to merge or split: the two sentences are related, yes, but are perfectly
> translatable on their own as their particular meaning does not depend on
> one another. I guess it's a design decision.

What I was trying to say is that in this case, that the two strings are
both part of a full paragraph, and it's better to have them in a single
msgid if possible. Splitting them can cause its own problems for some
languages, if the translated text is just slightly longer than the original.

> > Well, s/Utilize/Utilice/
> > s/Enter/Intro/
> >
> >  ;)
> Heh... This is cruel and unusual punishment, I'm in exams (rocket
> science, literally) and too stressed to be able to use my own native
> language properly. Nevertheless, if you want to be a purist, you might
> want to s/Enter/Entrar/ or even s/Enter/Retorno de carro/. ;P

Didn't intend to sound as a punishment ;)

Getting a bit offtopic, but I think Enter is one key, Return is another,
so Retorno would be the translation for Return.

Good luck with your exams!

address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/