grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:14:09 +0200

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 03:14:59PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Do we really need to localize the bootloader?  I think localization of
> the tools should be sufficient.
>
> Even Linux kernel is not localized, and it's more likely to tell the
> user something important than the bootloader.  Besides, how would you
> ask the user about the preferred language at the boot time?  If anything
> goes wrong, it's likely that the translations won't be available, and if
> everything is fine, the user would just pick an item from the menu, and
> the menu can be localized when it's generated.

I agree that for the most part, it's not necessary to localize a
bootloader.  But there's a big different between GRUB and Linux: GRUB
provides an interactive user interface.

I think the best would be to make a very strict selection of which
strings are worthy of translating.  At the very least, I'd translate
the "Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted" type
stuff that Carles has provided as an example.

Perhaps help output in commands would also be useful.

And of course, the user tools.  Well at least the grub-mkconfig
strings, since they end up in the menu.

--
Robert Millan