grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:20:22 +0200

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden> wrote:
Well, we could have another approach and this is also nice:

_all_ strings that appears in a normal boot process (like the ones that
I showed above) are part of the grub.cfg file. So, when grub.cfg file is
generated we could have:

set updowntext="Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is
highlighted."
set bootother="Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit
the\ncommands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."

So, when we will translate the userland part translated all that the
users will see will be translated.
There is a parallel discussion of making text-menu themes. I think both can be integrated together

> As for the tools localization, we should follow the standards.

I think that this is the only thing that everybody agred from the
beginning :-)
Many standards are done for "regular" user-space program. GRUB isn't one so we need to break standards sometimes.
Additionally because we're GNU project we follow GCS when possible and it says " In developing a GNU program, you should implement an outside standard's specifications when that makes the GNU system better overall in an objective sense. When it doesn't, you shouldn't. "

--
Carles Pina i Estany
       http://pinux.info

Regards