grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:31:57 +0100

Hi,

On Jun/22/2009, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Jun/21/2009, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like an interesting option.  It's a pity you already spent the
> > effort
> > > on implementing gettext in grub side, though :-(
> >
> > Yes it's pity, but I will not force to use what I implemented if now we
> > think something better. So we can discuss that I will not get upset for
> > it.
> >
> Actually I think it would be a good move to provide translations of e.g.
> error strings, output and help texts even if I personally will never use
> this feature. In other words I would translate the same parts as are
> translated in a typical linux counterparts. But I would like to discuss
> other possibilities as well.

same feelings here

Robert, I think that Ubuntu people was interested to translate Grub. Do
they want to translate only the frontcover or all messages? (for
example, to do something as easy as adding init=/bin/bash in one
operating system entry, that users may have to do even if Grub is
working...)

The patch to translate Grub (booting time) is not very big and should
not add problems in terms of Grub mantainability (when it's done).

Regards,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info