Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:42:24 +0100

On 26/06/2008, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:58:34PM +0100, I wrote:
>  > If we're really trimming it down, we should also remove the example
>  > topic of Digital Restrictions Management:
>  >
>  >     Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in
>  >     the Manchester area that focuses on free software.  The group
>  >     also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
>  >     users.
>  >
>  > It's concise, and doesn't say more than we need to, but where does that
>  > leave people who won't have the slightest clue that it affects them?
>

> Actually, I think that's better.  The mission statement shouldn't say
>  more than necessary, and the topics of GNU/Linux and Digital
>  Restrictions Management can be included in a more verbose prose about
>  the group, like, uhm, the About page[1] :)

I'm not sure, I think it's a little bland (a bit 'designed by
committee'). I think that GNU/Linux is important enough to be
mentioned (as is DRM), and it gives important examples to people who
may not quite know what free software is, but I agree that that can
cause a problem because we could be seen as excluding other worthwhile
software.

That said, I think it's probably a good compromise and will stay
relevant even after particular technologies have moved on.

Also, I think the points made about copyleft are important and it
would be great if someone would volunteer to write up a paragraph or
two for the website.