Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:30:58 +0100

Lucy wrote:
On 26/06/2008, Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:
Tim Dobson wrote:
Therefore is it absolutely necessary to mention GNU/Linux in the mission
statement? In my opinion, it probably isn't -I don't proposing ignoring
GNU/Linux by any menns but I don't think we should favour it over
GNU/OpenSolaris, GNU/BSD or even vanilla BSD or vanilla OpenSolaris or any
other free software operating system.
Manchester *free software* group
It's all in the name.

--

try not to be too abusive when you disagree with me ;) :)

 Luckily for you, I agree! ;)

 The GNU/Linux bit did seem to grate a bit to me when I was reading it. And
the statement doesn't mention copyleft
<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html> software.
Perhaps the GNU/Linux part was meant elude to that? So what about this

Hmm, I think I disagree :)

Awareness of Linux is growing and a lot of more experienced computer
users have probably heard of the name, whereas copyleft is something
that even a lot of experienced GNU/Linux users have not heard of.

Should whether they've heard of it or not affect whether it goes in the Mission statement? I think they should know about the copyleft. Its pretty fundamental to the FSF and GNU GPL. Having it in the Mission statement might encourage people to find out what it means.

> I also think that it's something that we should be promoting.

Do you mean the GNU/Linux system? Why this over {Free,Net,Open}BSD? They are free software OSes too. The difference is that GNU/Linux is copyleft and {Free,Net,Open}BSD are not.

We are different from a (G)LUG because of the emphasis on free
software rather than GNU/Linux and I think/hope that the mission
statement shows that.

But to decrease the emphasis on GNU/Linux a bit, how about:

Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in the
Manchester area that focuses on free software, including GNU/Linux.
The group also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
users, such as Digital Restrictions Management.

I'll have to disagree. :)

M.