Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:45:35 +0100

On Thursday 26 June 2008 22:57:09 Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Copyleft is the basis of the GNU project, GNU/Linux and the GNU GPL. It
> is very important. Its what differentiates it from the *BSD. Otherwise
> what is the difference? Copyleft means that free software can get
> stronger and not have to fight against itself. I don't like instances of
> free software that aren't copylefted as its not advancing free software
> and can be used against free software.

Whilst I *really* really would like to include copyleft in the mission
statement, I am loathed to suggest adding it.

copyleft is an extremely contentious issue among many non-free software
developers, and while I would really really like to include a mention of
copyleft, I don't feel that here is the best place.

I think by including copyleft we are essentially
a) aligning ourselves solely with GNU (not a bad thing inherently but
something we have stated that we don't really want to do)
b) essentially cutting out people who should be, in theory, our friends.
manchester bsd ug, for instance.

I think that while perhaps we should talk about how copyleft is really
important to the free software community, it shouldn't be included in the
mission statement.

I don't say this lightly, as I strongly believe in copyleft, but I think this
is probably the best move, true to the groups name and intentions.

I'm sorry you disagree, but i hope my reasoning is behind my opinion is clear,

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----