Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Constructivne Comment request

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Constructivne Comment request
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:42:02 +0100

Matthew Edmondson wrote:
My constructive flame :) would be that this is the Manchester Free Software group list not the Manchester Linux group list. By that I mean we are interested in free "as in freedom" software not in a particular OS flavour[1]. In the article she doesn't mention about free software or freedom. She does mention open source software but in a way that to me implies "software I don't have to pay for". She doesn't explicitly say what her motivation for trying "Linux" but seems to me from the article that she's trying different OSes to see which is technical best for her. I'm all for enticing people in to free software by its technical merits but if they don't then start "getting" the free software idea and the freedom side of things then its a bit empty "win".

http://www.zenofnptech.org/

check her latest blog entry. (it includes the four freedoms)

She does get it and I know that she does.  this is why i was sad at her
mixed message and thought it was interesting.

Its great seeing someone laying out the four freedoms and agreeing with them. She does seem to get it! (in that blog entry).

Back to the original article, it does seem mixed. She complains about things not working and then says its not the fault of Linux. I haven't really got time to go though her complaints one by one. Looking at the "responses" they seem good, the one by you "Matthew Edmondson" in fact!

M.