Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:04:23 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 08:37:36PM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:
The GNU/Linux bit did seem to grate a bit to me when I was reading it. And the statement doesn't mention copyleft <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html> software.

Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in the Manchester area that focuses on free software and, in particular, copyleft software.

I feel “copyleft” grates more:  It is covered by “free software” but is
also very general—it doesn’t feel “right” after “in particular”.

I agree that copyleft also grates! :) Maybe better wording can make it flow. But copyleft is not "covered" by free software and it is an important additional concept. If we are talking about completely free software OSes I bet that number of {Free,Net,Open}BSD systems that are completely free software must give the number of completely free software GNU/Linux systems a close run. And the number of people who believe in free software running {Free,Net,Open}BSD systems must give the number of people who believe in free software running GNU/Linux a close run too.

M.