Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:35:04 +0100

Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> Copyleft is the basis of the GNU project, GNU/Linux and the GNU GPL. It
> is very important. Its what differentiates it from the *BSD. Otherwise
> what is the difference? Copyleft means that free software can get
> stronger and not have to fight against itself. I don't like instances of
> free software that aren't copylefted as its not advancing free software
> and can be used against free software.

Why is anyone trying to differentiate the group against *BSD?

That seems a compelling reason *against* including copyleft promotion
in the mission statement.

Also, copyleft doesn't necessarily mean that free software gets
stronger: most copyleft licences are mutually incompatible, leading to
software that is condemned to forever fight against other free
software.

Then there's the problems of consolidating under a limited number of
licences: Firstly, if an exploit for a major complicated licence is
validated in court, a big chunk of software becomes vulnerable.
Secondly, if a major licence publisher is captured by
non-free-software interests, then any work they hold the copyright
for, or which says "version X or later" will cease to be copyleft.

Finally, some of us believe true freedom must be voluntary and you
cannot force people to cooperate.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)