Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:12:46 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:30:58PM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:
Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in the
Manchester area that focuses on free software, including GNU/Linux.
The group also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
users, such as Digital Restrictions Management.
I'll have to disagree. :)

So:

    Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in
    the Manchester area that focuses on free software.  The group
    also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
    users, such as Digital Restrictions Management.

I don’t feel “copyleft” or any other subset of free software is worth
mentioning if GNU/Linux isn’t, and I don’t think we can mention them
all, in the same way as Mozilla/VLC/KDE/QT/X/GNU/Linux (or whatever
floats it for you).

If we’re really trimming it down, we should also remove the example
topic of Digital Restrictions Management:

    Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in
    the Manchester area that focuses on free software.  The group
    also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
    users.

It’s concise, and doesn’t say more than we need to, but where does that
leave people who won’t have the slightest clue that it affects them?

Simon

I see your point, they are both useful hooks in getting people to understanding what the group is about. I do like the concise version though. :) If these hooks are in then the abbreviation for Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) needs to be in there because if they don't understand what free software is then I doubt they'll recognise Digital Restrictions Management either.

M.