Re: [Fsfe-uk] re: distribution without copyright

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] re: distribution without copyright
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:37:39 +0000

Chris Croughton wrote:

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 05:34:31PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
But that making the very big assumption that you *do have* a copy. If someone *else* has a copy, they are not even required to supply it to you, never mind supply it in tact.

Very true -- no one is ever required to supply their thoughts to you in
any form.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about the creator of a work giving you a copy. For all intents and purposes in this discussion, we can assume that a work which is not kept private is intended to be distributed by the author.

It is the *distributor(s)* that I'm discussing. With no copyright law, *they* have no need to supply an intact copy of what you ask them to distribute; no need to keep your name on it; nothing preventing them from profiting from your work as soon as you try to give it to *anyone*. In effect, it could become impossible to publish anything, never mind supplying it to most people who want it along with the sourcecode, or making a living from it.

- Lee.