[Fsfe-uk] Re: Copyright vs. Copyleft

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Copyright vs. Copyleft
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:08:38 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

Your point is that copylefted free software is preferable to not-copylefted, because there is an extra guarantee that the freedom is protected. It doesn't really affect the freeness of the software, and some free software users (BSD-licence advocates, for example) would argue that it's unnecessary.

No, my point is that free software is "free as in freedom", and that, if the freedom to obtain the sourcecode and alter a binary is lost, it is no longer free software, in the sense I'm used to. Open source, maybe.

But yes, you seem to be getting that, from how you refer to BSD. Can you fill me in on why they argue that such guarantees of freedom are unnecessary? I thought BSD-types liked their license too, but just didn't like the extra restrictions of copyleft.

- Lee.