Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:44:49 +0000

On 2004-11-23 18:36:03 +0000 Richard Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

According to RMS, your thinking that these very different laws have
anything in common could be a *result* of your using the term
'intellectual property'. [...]
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.xhtml

RMS is smarter than to support the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis quite that explicitly. That's somewhat controversial and I doubt we're going to make much headway debating it when legions of linguists haven't.

I think that essay actually says that the "Intellectual Property" name is one part of a larger misdirection. It's somewhat frustrating that when people object to "IPR" only for the other TLA "PCT" (for Patents, Copyrights and Trademarks) to be used with no attempt to consider them individually. At least it removes a few things like design rights and non-disclosure agreements from the lumping, I guess.

Sorry for not replying to other messages in this thread, but most of them haven't been very related to the original suggestions. Also, this week being National Tree Week, I'm publicly questioning the local council about their Heritage Lottery Fund bid to clear all mature trees from several tree-lined promenades in the town's main park, so I've been talking to local media or friends when not working.

Alex is pretty much accurate about the point I was making to Lee - thanks for clarifying swiftly, Alex.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/