Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Copyright vs. Copyleft

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Copyright vs. Copyleft
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:14:32 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

Software 'A' under the BSD licence is free for me because I get the freedom to change and redistribute the software; the four FSF freedoms are there. The fact that software 'B' which is derived from 'A' is not free software does not affect the freeness, for me.

But what I'm saying is, without copyright law, you DON'T have those rights. Someone can hand you a binary, and if you want anything else, you have to reverse-engineer it. The original copy is as free as it ever was, but there is no guarantee that even distributors of that same copy will provide source, unless it is legally required, or at least socially required.

Are you saying that you consider BSD-licensed software not to be free software?
No. In the larger sense of software, that may be true: an application that was released under a BSD license could easily become non-free, in later versions. So, while individual versions might be free, the "software", in it's wholistic sense, would not be.

But BSD was *your* topic, and that was not my question. I was asking why you feel that a BSD license is similar to the complete lack of copyright. If, indeed, it was you who suggested that; my modal email client won't let me check :/ Wouldn't BSD just be released without any rights at all, if that was the case?

- Lee.