Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:59:23 +0000

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 14:33, Philip Hands wrote:
> Ian Lynch wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:20, root wrote:
> >
> >>Mark Preston writes:
> [...]
> >>Without copyright laws M****S*ft could and would take firefox, bundle
> >>it with their OS under their own brand name,
> >

> > But with no copyright at all you could then take whatever they did and
> > rebrand it to whatever you wanted.
>
> So how exactly are you planning on getting past the armed guards to have a
> look at the source code?

In that situation, I might well be one of the armed guards ;-)

> P.S.  Lumping copyright & patent law together is a mistake --- they should
>        be considered separately

In sprcific cases, but they do have the common property of protecting
intellectual property. In a thought experiment where in principle we are
saying the whole idea of intellectual property should be null and void,
let's just say what whould happen and then think of the minimal amount
of intellectual property law required to make things work fairly.

--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd