Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:55:55 -0500

Ian Lynch wrote:

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 05:14, Mark Preston wrote:

I never wrote that there should be no monitoring. This is not my view.
Like you, I would also want there to be some mechanisms in place to allow for some EC monitoring. Rather like those that currently enable Police and Security Services to intercept mail and tap phone lines when they have "reasonable" grounds. This is completely different to what would be required to enforce copyright compliance, or at least it should be.

I agree that "reasonable" is open to wide interpretation. In the context of Martin Wheeler's statement: "The blatant abuse and corruption of copyright law for the purposes of protecting corporate greed and maintaining a specific model of consumerism is a very different affair." "reasonable" was intended to mean less restrictive than those laws currently in place, let alone the more draconian laws being advocated by the 'pigopolists'.

So we agree that there is a balance and that at the moment its moving
too far in favour of large corporate interests and away from the
interests of ordinary people?
Yes, we can agree on that - hurrah!
Contributing to free software, and related copylefted projects such as Wikipedia, in whatever
ways we can should help tip the balance more favourably.
Regards,
Mark