Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:12:18 -0500

Lee Braiden wrote:

Mark Preston wrote:

I agree that in the real world the best that can be hoped for is reasonable copyright laws, but whatever these may be they will still mean that electronic communications all have to be monitored to ensure compliance. Not a desirable state of affairs in my view.

It's worth pointing out here that, just because a law exists, that does not mean that the law must be enforced at all costs, nor in silly and counter-productive ways. It's quite possible to attain reasonable compliance with law simply through education and the creation of good facilities which make it easy to do the right thing, for example.

- Lee.

Hi Lee,
IANAL, but I agree that the law often is set up in this way. For example, speeding on the nations roads is not always punished because people are often not caught. Not wearing a car seatbelt is another example of the law encouraging "good" behaviour. However, since we are all trying to promote free software, freedom issues are also important and some things might be better if laws were not introduced in this manner.
Regards,
Mark

"Theres no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government
has is
the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough
criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime
that it
becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand,
Atlas
Shrugged