Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:14:25 -0500

Ian Lynch wrote:

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 04:00, Mark Preston wrote:

I agree that in the real world the best that can be hoped for is reasonable copyright laws,

What is reasonable will vary from person to person.
but whatever these may be they will still mean that electronic communications all have to be monitored to ensure compliance. Not a desirable state of affairs in my view.

Not all electronic communications are monitored now. You can E-mail
encrypted stuff that even if monitored would be difficult to comprehend.

These debates tend to polarise. All electronic communications monitored
or none, no matter what? Personally, I thnk being unable to monitor any
EC under any circumstances would also be an undesirable state of
affairs.
I never wrote that there should be no monitoring. This is not my view.
Like you, I would also want there to be some mechanisms in place to allow for some EC monitoring. Rather like those that currently enable Police and Security Services to intercept mail and tap phone lines when they have "reasonable" grounds. This is completely different to what would be required to enforce copyright compliance, or at least it should be.

I agree that "reasonable" is open to wide interpretation. In the context of Martin Wheeler's statement: "The blatant abuse and corruption of copyright law for the purposes of protecting corporate greed and maintaining a specific model of consumerism is a very different affair." "reasonable" was intended to mean less restrictive than those laws currently in place, let alone the more draconian laws being advocated by the 'pigopolists'.
Regards,
Mark