High Quality Video distro on Internet Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC Help

From: Space Bunny
Subject: High Quality Video distro on Internet Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC Help
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 13:52:24 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

On 2004-05-05 22:54:57 +0100 Martyn <address@hidden> wrote:

I can also upload an appropriate format avi(xvid-ogg?)/mpeg-1 file to somewhere appropriate so people can download it.

Is this something bittorrent would be good for?

Even better check out:

http://v2v.cc

Well may it is not appropiate for this but excuse to plug.

It is a way to freely distribute videos (that can be freely distributed legally under Creative Commons License)

One is asked to encode in high quality VP3 codec which can be converted into Ogg Theora ( http://theora.org ) later if desired.

It uses multiple P2P systems including Bit Torrent but also stand way of catalogueing so rss feed generated of content for us in other pages (by topic) such as second section in right hand col of http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/static/video.html

I guess do not really intend to have video of your meeting be put on such a wide platform, and I think the system is intended for more 'finished' documentaries or films.

But if you want to do a more promo video go for it, or may be ask on there list if it could be used for. Of course it is all based on free software so you could set up similar functioning network for videos of organisations meetings. *

See instructions at:

http://v2v.cc/info.php

Bit Torrents on own work well if high demand for file but not best way on own to make file available over long time, unless very popular.

* actually those pages are generated with MIR ( http://mir2.indymedia.de/ ) using Freemarker templating ( http://freemarker.org ) and java servlets and I guess many of you are familar with debate over freeness of using java.