Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC Help

From: adam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFSAC Help
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 15:35:45 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:30:06PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> I think all ctte are now doing something for AFFSAC and AGM (any ctte
> with spare time, please volunteer again). For the AFFSAC part, I would
> like help from fsfe-uk readers:

We have just identified another task that we have for AFFSAC. We would like to
be able to record talks to some kind of video format at the conference so that
we can keep a record of them and look at the possibility of distributing them
to members who could not make it to the conference.

Ideally what we want is 2 things.

The first being a high quality recording of the conference onto some kind of
(preferably) reliable and high quality media so that we can keep for historical
purposes.

The second would be to somehow take a copy of the high quality copy and encode
it to some kind of portable digital format that can be played with Free
Software and distributed easily (via the internet or CD, possibly even DVD).

Between us the commitee doesn't have enough know-how, equipment, knowledge etc.
to achieve either part of what is described above to a sastisfactory level. I
did wonder about the possibility of using some kind of DV camera (with
firewire?) and then using Free Software tools to re-encode the video afterwards
but I don't know enough about this kind of thing so I don't know if that would
be feasable or possible.

I would very much like to hear of ideas now and also of offers of help to do
this!

Thanks
Adam
--