Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:02:36 +0000

On 2004-02-06 09:56:51 +0000 P.L.Hayes <address@hidden> wrote:

There was a big noise (1000+ posts) made about it on /. too:

I'm sure the BBC will be happy. It was all over news:uk.comp.os.linux like a rash too. That gets more visitors to BBCi which they can use to justify funding (some wags call it BBCwhy already).

_Lots_ of people complained to the BBC and we all received a brush-off response from the editor.

Has anyone described the reply, so future complaints can pre-empt the points made? Were the replies polite? Given the tone of the emails here ("slander"???), I expect the editor is probably a little warm and toasty by now.

Has the BBC gone too far this time?

Probably, but that's nothing new.

Does anyone know how to make some kind of formal complaint?

The first step is to contact the editor, which it sounds like you've done. Then, I think you go to the Programme Complaints Unit, if applicable (check the docs) at http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus/serious_form.shtml and finally OfCOM.

If the journalist is an NUJ member (I don't know if that's normal for the BBC or not), then you might be able to complain if they breach the code of conduct.

Please don't spend too much time on this which would be better spent building useful free software resources. If you're stuck for ideas, the patents workgroup at http://www.affs.org.uk/patents/, the FOSS Libraries HOWTO at http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/libraries/ and promoting FLOSSIE Conference http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/flossie/conference200402.html would all welcome help, IMO. :)

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden