Re: OT: Key navigation in Mozilla (was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander)

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: OT: Key navigation in Mozilla (was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:37:15 +0000

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:36:43PM +0000, Robin Green wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:58:35PM +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
> > Ah, perhaps that's it, I don't see pictures.  I see text only (lynx
> > doesn't do graphics).  What, you want me to use a /non-free/ browser?
> > (Mozilla I use when I have to, for certain card and banking sites, but
> > it seems to be click-only.)
>
> It's not.
>
> TAB to cycle between links.
> CTRL+L for location bar.
> CTRL+PGUP and CTRL+PGDN for tag switching.
> Just start typing to search for link text
> Type / and then the text to search for text anywhere on a page (not just in
> links)

CTRL-L is the only one of those I've found in the help text.  Not that
the help text makes it easy to find such things (they are buried in the
text somewhere, and some of the simple things (like back, forward and
refresh) don't seem to have keyboard shortcuts documented at all).

> Framed pages are annoying though. You seem to have to click on a frame
> to select it before you can use shortcuts like /blah.

Hmm.  OK, so I could get the source and hack it to the keys I want, but
I don't have time for that...

(A text file with customisable key-to-action assignments would be really
good, not difficult to implement and in the spirit of Unix...)

Chris C