Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:50:42 +0000

Ralph:
> I'd also go for a company limited by guarantee.  What's the problem with
> every member of the company having one vote?  I realise that a majority
> might decide to change the objects of the organisation but who are any of
> us to stop that happening?  What I mean is, if all sides are given a
> chance to put forth their argument before a vote then who can say fairer
> than that?

My concern is that most of the money will have been donated to further
particular aims and I don't think it's acceptable to have those aims changed
after the money has been given.  Maybe this can be protected with some sort
of donation contract or something like that, but we would need legal opinion
on that.  A council running the society which is protected by trustees is
probably a workable solution right now.
--
MJR