Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: 16 Dec 2001 15:22:31 +0000

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 10:59, MJ Ray wrote:
> IIRC, we have the following aims from the f2f meeting:
>
>       Promoting Free Software in the UK
>       Developing links with the UK media organisations
>       Protection of Free Software in the UK.
>
> Do we have any to add to that (eg localising Free Software to the UK)?  Do
> we really want "in the UK" in the first of those?  We must make these aims
> sufficiently general that all our activities are covered by them.

I don't think it has to be 'in the UK' absolutely, I would prefer
'focussed on the UK' or something - I wouldn't want to preclude
participating in occasional activities with other organisations which
might only have an indirect effect on the UK.

I think 'developing Free Software' might also be an aim (developing in
the general sense, not coding per se) - I see this as part of promotion.
We want to make sure Free Software is possible in the UK (protection),
we want to tell people about how good Free Software is (promotion), and
we also want to help Free Software improve (this would be what I mean by
development), and create an environment in which it would flourish.

> Once these are decided, it should be a case of filling in the blanks of a
> sample constitution for the appropriate type of society.

Yep. The things I think need to be in our constitution are:
 + our name ;)
 + purpose
 + how you become a member, dues etc.
 + structure of an 'executive'/'council'
 + reports (what information needs to come out of the org.)
 + meetings
 + voting system

(Anything else I might have missed?) We may also want to have two
documents: one that is the 'fixed' document, one that is amendable. So,
the purpose might be in the 'fixed' constitution, whereas membership
might be amendable. I'm sure there's a term for this, but I can't
remember what it is :\  It may be (in fact, it's probable) that the
'main' constitution would be the fixed one (possibly registered), where
as the 'amendable' section would be something separate...

> >  Linux expo Paris is from January 30 to February 1st 2002.
> >  I suggest you to come & see it. April and FSFE will have
> >  a stand as other French associations.
>
> I'll see if I can... it depends on what the ticket prices are like and
> whether I can spare enough time from work.  Is there a web site about it?
> Can it be reached by train easily?

www.linuxexpoparis.com, in case you haven't  found it ;) The place is on
the Metro, so I presume it's reasonably accessible - the map shows it
within the outer orbital, but then, Paris is a big place!