Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: 18 Dec 2001 12:22:52 +0000

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 12:13, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I'd also go for a company limited by guarantee.  What's the problem
> with every member of the company having one vote?

For the vast majority of things, nothing :)

> I realise that a
> majority might decide to change the objects of the organisation but who
> are any of us to stop that happening?

It depends. Voting to change stuff like rules, voting to instigate
action or to make policy, that's all cool in my book. But, we're setting
this up to be a Free Software organisation. That means that whatever we
do, we're wanting to stick to developing Free Software (in the broad
sense of the word development). If people want to do things _other_ than
that, tough - look elsewhere; set up your own organisation.

I think there are certain basic tenets that must stay unbroken - however
unlikely carpet-bagging is, it's not just about that: by saying that
we're not for profit, and pro-Free Software development, people can
trust us and know that when they join, these basic rules aren't going to
change. However, I don't expect that these basic tenets are actually
going to be that much - it's basically 'everything we do must benefit
Free Software', I think.