Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:44:09 +0000

> My personal feeling is that the choice has to be between an Ltd. or an
> I&PS - I don't like the idea of an unincorporated group for any length
> or time, or the liabilities that would entail [..]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: this is a *first* structure so we can get
moving.  I can travel to London this week or probably next if needed to sign
incorporation papers, even if only as a witness.

> and I like some of the bureaucracy associated with incorporated structures
> (I think being open about your dealings, etc., is good).

I think we must be *totally* open whatever.  Publish everything which is
ours to publish that is not confidential in some manner.

> [BTW: we haven't established any voting rules as yet :) I hope everyone
> is happy with voting 'in public': personally, I see it wholly as a
> matter of opinion and will vote as I see fit, even if everyone else
> disagrees with me! - but if anyone _does_ have a problem, make yourself
> known (privately or publically), we can do things a different way. ]

Indeed.  As a qualified statistician, I'm more than happy to act as
vote-taker on any of the common voting models if you are willing to trust
me.  I think debate, compromise and consensus are the best bet for now,
though.  We will probably need voting rules as a deadlock-breaker at some
point, for which I would prefer either ERS STV or STV with Meek's method (if
they are still different).
--
MJR