Re: Merging feature/android

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:38:35 -0800

On 2023-03-05 04:13, Po Lu wrote:

I'm not aware of a serious security bug in Google GCC or Clang which
affects compiled code.

That wasn't the sort of security bug I was worried about. By not supporting these obsolete NDKs, Google is saying that apps built for older Android versions are unreliable or insecure or whatever. We can't expect users to fix those old Android bugs, and we likely lack resources to modify Emacs to work around them.

Either way, if we go by what the Google does (or does not) support, then
in one or two years we will no longer be able to support the latest
version of Replicant.

Is this referring to Replicant 6? Though I know little about Replicant, I suspect it'll be better for everyone concerned if Replicant 11 is the porting target, as that's where active Replicant development is (even though no official version has been released). Replicant 6 is pretty old and has known and seemingly unfixable security issues.