Re: Merging feature/android

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 13:01:43 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu
> Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 18:29:54 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Which is OK in my book.
>
> Why so?

Because I don't mind at all if more people start using GCC.

> IOW, what makes you think this change is unsafe, exactly?  How is this
> any different for the __attribute__ ((aligned)) check, or any other
> check for a compiler extension under which an Emacs feature is
> conditional?

We made modules supported by default 2 releases ago, and I don't want
to risk silently dropping that in configurations that up till now
didn't need the test at all.

And there's also what Paul said: we don't really understand why the
existing conditions don't work in this case.  We should at least
understand that before we make non-trivial changes.