Re: Merging feature/android

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 12:07:55 -0800

On 2023-03-05 04:06, Po Lu wrote:

We build emacs with -fexceptions?

Sorry, this is an area I know little about. (But I'll pontificate anyway. :-)

Perhaps the idea was that if you wanted modules written in C++, you could compile Emacs with -fexceptions, even though this is not the default build procedure. If so, I wouldn't worry too much about that, as I don't think anybody does that.

If we can simply stop using __attribute__ ((cleanup)), then I'm all for it. One less portability thing to worry about.

If on the other hand it's straightforward (albeit perhaps tedious) for Emacs to replace __attribute__ ((cleanup)) with a portable C idiom, then I'd be for that too. This change can be done independently of Android, though of course it will simplify support on Android.

Another possibility is that perhaps Emacs itself could stop using __attribute__ ((cleanup)), but modules would become responsible for cleanup. I can see problems with this approach, though.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-04/msg01075.html
This says that the change was dismissed by virtue of modules being
disabled by default, but now that has changed, so wouldn't it be the
right time to reconsider the ``makes configure slower'' argument?

Yes, that sounds right.