Re: Merging feature/android

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:38:13 -0800

On 2023-03-05 03:25, Po Lu wrote:
I'd like to see the discussion where it was concluded that the
cleanup attribute is absolutely required.  It doesn't do fancy things
like clean up after Lisp signals under the hood, so all of the cleanup
can be done in portable C as well.

As I recall there wasn't much discussion, unfortunately. I very vaguely recall that there was some worry that Emacs modules would be written in C++, and that they would invoke Elisp code, and that this meant it'd be hard to do the cleanup in portable C.

One option that was discussed was to require a C++ compiler to compile emacs-modules.cc (i.e., to write the emacs-modules interface in C++). I expect this would have addressed the cleanup issue in a different way. But RMS was very strongly against requiring a C++ compiler.

You may find this patch useful:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-04/msg01075.html