Re: Merging feature/android

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 14:49:38 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu
> Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 20:12:59 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What are those "non-GCC and non-Clang compilers" that are prone to
> > this problem?
>
> tcc, for instance.  Or the various compilers found on Unix systems.

And Emacs can be, and is actually, built with them?

> > I'm okay with writing tests for this, but can be arrange for those
> > tests to be run only in the Android build?  Once again, I'd prefer not
> > to make non-trivial changes in our configury with a clear test case,
> > and we don't have any such case that doesn't involve the Android
> > build, AFAIU.
>
> We should not assume that all the world is any specific compiler, be it
> GCC or Clang.

We don't.  Function attributes are widely used feature nowadays.

> Especially not in a configure script, whose job is to make sure
> Emacs can adapt itself to any reasonable Unix system, including ones
> that may show up in the future, such as a tcc-based GNU/Linux
> system.

Our configury is complicated enough for us to avoid solving any
theoretical problems by further complicating it.  I'm mainly bothered
by any possible effect this could have on users who configure Emacs,
and would like to avoid any unnecessary risks.