Re: Merging feature/android

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 16:05:19 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> macOS builds don't use GCC.

They use Clang, which pretends to be GCC well enough to support this
extension.

> But if this problem is basically limited to Android, how about solving
> it in emacs-module.c, via preprocessor directives, instead?  Or even
> unconditionally disable modules in the configure script for Android?
> I think making changes that affect all the platforms for the benefit
> of Android should be limited to the absolute minimum.

This problem in emacs-module.c affects all platforms except MS-DOS.
Basically any non-GCC and non-Clang compiler cannot compile Emacs by
default.

Also, some versions of Android's GCC do support the cleanup attribute,
while others are new enough to support it but signal an ICE compiling
any code that actually uses it.  And Android's clang is a hit and miss I
have not yet figured out.

In general, it is better to write tests for a feature than tests for a
version of one tool known to support a feature.  That's why Autoconf was
created.