Re: Merging feature/android

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 08:06:04 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> And Emacs can be, and is actually, built with them?

Yes.  Emacs builds fine with TCC, lcc, Sun C, etc, given that you
disable the dynamic module support.

> We don't.  Function attributes are widely used feature nowadays.

The cleanup attribute specifically is a GCC and Clang feature not found
in other compilers.  Along with most other __attribute__ syntax.

> Our configury is complicated enough for us to avoid solving any
> theoretical problems by further complicating it.  I'm mainly bothered
> by any possible effect this could have on users who configure Emacs,
> and would like to avoid any unnecessary risks.

Well, Emacs currently doesn't work on any number of systems for this
reason.  And the test will get a suitable amount of testing on master
before being released.