Re: Merging feature/android

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:17:56 -0800

On 2023-03-04 16:06, Po Lu wrote:
Emacs builds fine with TCC, lcc, Sun C, etc, given that you
disable the dynamic module support.

Actually dynamic module support should build with Sun C 5.15 (i.e., Oracle Solaris Studio 12.6), because Sun C supports GNU C's __attribute__ ((cleanup)) extension. I think icc also supports that extension. Not that I've ever used modules on those platforms.

As I vaguely recall, this issue came up in 2015 when Emacs modules were added, and it was decided that there wasn't a practical way to get Emacs modules to work if the compiler did not support a cleanup attribute of some sort.

I'm a bit surprised that the Android NDK doesn't support the attribute, though, as I thought it was based on Clang. Perhaps there's an alternate compiler you can use to build on Android.