Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 19:17:12 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> I invite you to compare code of custom-set-variables and setq, for
> setting a single variable, and to see how ridiculous this defense is.

Judging functions by code size in general will not yield a useful
result, and preferring setq to custom-theme-set-variables because the
latter has more code is simply ludicrous: setq doesn't try to respect
the `custom-set' symbol property, or do anything meaningful with custom
themes.  (Which is why it is also unsuitable for many options, where the
`custom-set' function has to be called in order to work correctly, or
when you want it inside a custom theme.)

> There isn't even a function for setting a custom variable and you will
> find a csetq macro popping up in many users init files, if you care to
> look within your community.  And no, custom-set-variable isn't it.

Why not?