Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:34:34 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 12:45 by luangruo@yahoo.com:

> xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <> emacs-devel@gnu.org> >
> writes:
>
>> Basically Custom is an unfinished system, it's code is not easy to
>> understand, and it does not integrate with the rest of Emacs well, it
>> especially does not play well with configuring things from init.el
>> file.
>>

> Custom is basically a finished system, and the whole point of it is to
> make things work so that users will not have to understand it.
> Custom should be understandable for everyone, and I don't see why it
> isn't.

If you think it a perfect, finished and polished system, I am fearful of the
damage you will do to both Emacs' code and community.

> And contrary to your statements, it integrates with the rest of Emacs
> quite well.  For example, this doesn't work:
>
> (setq pixel-scroll-precision-mode t)
>
> But this does:
>
> (custom-set-variables '(pixel-scroll-precision-mode t))
>
> Same goes for `scroll-bar-mode', and so on.

I invite you to compare code of custom-set-variables and setq, for
setting a single variable, and to see how ridiculous this defense is.

There isn't even a function for setting a custom variable and you will
find a csetq macro popping up in many users init files, if you care to
look within your community.  And no, custom-set-variable isn't it.