Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 23:58:00 -0800

> On Jan 1, 2022, at 10:30 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think splitting them into different parts would be confusing.
>
> What would have to be split into different parts?

Keybinding settings and the rest.

>> On the other hand, “variable modified outside Customize” isn’t that
>> mysterious IMO.
>
> It is, and it'll be inconsistent as well.
>
>> Customize’s settings should always override other code, I think they
>> are appended at the end of init.el every time they are saved.
>
> Not true.
>
>> Speaking of that, we are not supposed to use custom-save-variables in
>> init.el, which makes using custom more undesirable.
>
> The changes should be made to the custom file if set, and if not,
> init.el.
>
> That's how custom behaves, and that's how this "setup wizard" should
> behave as well.

Setup wizard produces some code, the user can modify them and put them in
init.el. They can later modify or even delete them as then see fit. It’s
flexible, straightforward, simple. Why do we have to involve custom and all its
machinery?

If we use custom, the key binding part is in somewhere in init.el, the rest are
blended together with other random configurations in either custom file or the
custom-save-varaible form in init.el. The custom part has to be changed through
Customize (the comment says users shouldn’t modify the form by hand, and if
they do, custom restores the change anyway).

Yuan