Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:37:56 +0800

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> A while ago I wrote a package that helps a new user to configure
> Emacs: it takes a user through some interactive pages, where changes
> takes effect immediately; and in the end it generates some code that
> can be copied to init.el.
>
> Demo for the original package: https://youtu.be/0qMskTAR2aw
>
> I made some improvements to that package and renamed it
> setup-wizard. Do you think we could add it to ELPA? Maybe the name is
> too “official”, in that case I can rename it to yuan’s-setup-wizard or
> something.

I like the concept in general, but I have a few questions:

 - Whatever is appended to init.el should IMO utilize custom.

 - Does it, out of the blue, ask people to download software from the
   internet?  If so, it should say something to that effect.

> I don’t know how useful could it be, since nowadays every body
> (understandably) starts with some community distribution rather than
> vanilla Emacs, but surely it is better than not having a wizard.

That's untrue.

>    "🧙: Here are some packages that I always install:\n\n")
>   ;; Ivy.

Is it really okay to encourage all users to install a set of packages?
If they are really so useful, they should be part of Emacs itself.

Also, I don't think the Emoji are necessary (or desirable): some users
do not have fonts installed, or terminals available that capable of
displaying them.

Thanks.